Sister Day, 2016

Somehow my sister and I managed to see each other within the last twelve months, and still didn't manage to get a picture together. I'm not sure how we keep doing this, except that both of us are usually the person behind the camera. As evidenced here, at my niece's graduation party.


The personality is definitely genetic.

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. In 2013, we managed to see each other a record-breaking three times in one year, and still didn't get a photo together.

It's Sister Day, a little holiday Melanie and I invented when we were girls growing up in Massachusetts. I wrote about it once before, detailing how we invented a holiday that Hallmark has yet to embrace. And unfortunately, it's yet another Sister Day we don't spend together.

That would be the best part about being rich, I think. The ability to simply hop a plane and go see my loved ones would be a gift greater than any I could imagine. My husband has met my sister exactly once? Twice? She had to miss our wedding because she was busy delivering my beautiful little niece, and Jim had to miss Alexis' graduation because of work and school. I don't get out to the coast very often, thanks to a shortage of funds and days off work.

Oh, to be rich. Um, and self-employed. Then I could bop out to see my sister (and that baby niece!) more often.

Cuteness alert!


Thank goodness for technology. As much as we all like to complain about it, Facebook and my cell phone allows me to keep in touch with my sister more than I ever did before either existed. We are both crap letter-writers, and neither is much for long phone conversations. But texting - that's communication, man! Somewhere along the line my mother began a group chat with the three of us, and that is now how we let each other know what's going on.

It's like she's always with me. Almost.

Squirt, I miss you so much it hurts. There are times I'd give just about anything to be able to message you, "Margaritas, 8 pm. I'm buying." But especially today, when it's Sister Day and I don't get to spend it with my sister. We miss a lot by living so far away from each other: birthdays, holidays, kids' recitals and school plays, celebrations both big and small. It sucks.

But I am thinking about you, and I love you. Even when you make faces at me. Especially when you make faces at me. Next time we are in the same time zone, how's about we actually get a picture together?
We are totally not up to something.


Comments