Scarlet Letters

The not-so-private thoughts and rants of Elizabeth Donald, journalist/author and founder of the Literary Underworld.

Monday, February 03, 2014

Not sure where he got this smart mouth...

BOY: I need to get a job.
ME: Liking that whole "earning money" thing, are you?
BOY: Do you know any places that hire fifteen-year-olds?
MAN: McDonald's.
ME: I think food service is illegal until sixteen. What about the YMCA?
BOY: I could work in the skate center when I'm fifteen-and-a-half with a parent's permission.
ME: That could possibly be arranged, with bribery.
MAN: Fifteen-and-a-half... that's...
ME: Summer.
BOY: A summer job.
ME: The question is, how do you intend to transport yourself to and from work? Does the bike trail go out that far?
BOY: No. *frowns*
ME: The bus?
BOY: Can you drive me?
ME: Well. I think we'd have to arrange some kind of compensation. We are not a taxi service.
BOY: *sigh*
MAN: Soda.
ME: What?
MAN: He buys me a soda, I'll drive him to work.
ME: Man, you're cheap. I'd demand actual cash.
BOY: How about the honor of my presence in your lives?
ALL: ...
ADULTS: BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Author Jon Klement said...

My daughter just started her first job at Marshall's yesterday.She's really excited about the employee discount probably as much as the paycheck.

6:06 AM  
Blogger jilly-bear said...

You can work at food service at 15 with parental permission - just about anywhere that is not dangerous. There are forms you must fill out and the school principle has to sign off on it as well - they are not allowed to work over a certain number of hours.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home