The alma mater

I attended my first two years of high school at the Bryn Mawr School for girls in Baltimore. I was a scholarship student, and it was my only experience with private school. We moved the summer after my sophomore year to Martin, Tenn. where I finished high school in public school.

But I always loved Bryn Mawr, as the wonderful, progressive and ground-breaking school it was, for its history and inclusiveness and intellectual challenge. I keep my class ring in a special place, and I was glad they allowed me to join the alumnae association even though I graduated elsewhere.

Recently they asked me to answer a few questions for an upcoming newsletter on alumnae authors. I rattled something off at about 1 a.m. the night it was due. Just like old times! Ah, the midnight oil burned as I crammed for those history exams...

Anyway. I was floored to find the Communique in my mail and see that they gave me an entire page, plus a picture of me and cover art from ABADDON and SETTING SUNS. Whee!

If you care at all, here's what I had to say. I'm on page six. A touch flowery, perhaps, but I've done far, far worse at 1 a.m. Much of it at Bryn Mawr.

I have got to get my ass back to Baltimore some day, if only to visit the old girl and say hello.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stumpy

Workaversary

Hello Kentucky/Indiana