Scarlet Letters

The not-so-private thoughts and rants of Elizabeth Donald, journalist/author and founder of the Literary Underworld.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Snippets, writing edition

Last night's editing session found the use of the word "suddenly" nine times in one scene. Just to be sure, I did a find/replace and found a handful of other uses, most of which were decidedly superfluous to the book. My writers' group is still teasing me about my suddenlys. This will become relevant...

ME: What is with me and the -ly adverbs in this book?
SELA: *looks*
ME: 'Sam said confidently.'
TICIA: 'Sam said with conviction.'
ME: 'Sam said, confident.' Or to hell with it. 'Sam said.'
SELA: 'Sam said. Confidence colored his words.'
ME: *gags* Bleeeeeeech.
TICIA: *stares in disbelief*
SELA: I like it!
ME: Don't make the soup come back up, please.
TICIA: *gestures to Sela* Romance. *gestures to me* Not romance.
ALL: *guffaw*
SELA: I like my fluffy descriptive words.
ME: 'Sam said.'
TICIA: With conviction!
SELA: Confidently!
ME: But he said it suddenly.
ALL: *loses it*

ME: Oh my god. What is the matter with me??
SELA: What now?
ME: Colin said quietly. Sam said confidently. Quinn said earnestly.
TICIA: Ow.
ME: Die die die. Is there any attribution where I didn't use an -ly adverb?
SELA: *stares at her own book* Oooh, she nodded firmly.
ME: No.
SELA: I can do it.
ME: No you cannot.
SELA: Yes I can. 
TICIA: Romance.
ME: How else would you nod? Hesitantly? *attempts to nod hesitantly*
TICIA: Suddenly.
SELA: I get one. 
ME: One per scene, no more.

ME: Honestly, the best advice I can give is to go to Imaginarium. The panels, the networking, the workshops, the number of small presses who attend and are actively looking for writers... 
SELA: I'm really excited about it.
ME: Actually, I think Jimmy was going to approach you about doing something about writing in romance. Because he writes romance -
TICIA: Whenever he posts about you on Facebook.
ME: *sporfle* I married the World's Sappiest Man.
SELA: Yes, you did.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home