Happy Birthday

Today is my little sister's birthday.

I don't care that she's turning thirty-six. (Ha ha, Mel, I ratted you out.) She's still my baby sister, and the biggest regret I have in life (alongside getting student loans) is that she and I have spent most of our adult lives living in different time zones.

It sucks. I want to hang out with her and get manicures or girly shit like that. I want to have lunch with her, just for the hell of it, and talk about nonsense. I want to call her up at the end of a tough day and say, "First margarita's on me."

Social networks help alleviate it a bit. Neither of us is one for long phone conversations; we talk by text and internet.

There are a lot of reasons why this year's especially difficult. I don't intend to detail them right now. Suffice to say, it's a special year. And I want to be there.

Since I can't, I'll settle for embarrassing her with photos from that long-ago day when my parents brought me the best plaything a girl ever had. According to reports, three-year-old Me ran around telling relatives and neighbors to "come see my new baby!"

Happy birthday, Squirt. I love you. See you at the corner.


Comments

  1. Awwwww, that's so lovely.... it makes me wish I had a little sister too. As a friend of your "squirt" I have to say, its hard to nail her down even in the same time zone. So, when you do come around again, first Margarita is on me. Much love, and admiration.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment