Sanctuary Day Zillion

You know, I keep forgetting about this blog. When you update three blogs, Twitter and two social networks, sometimes things fall through the cracks.

However, I am unofficially doing Nanowrimo. No, I do not like the idea of uploading my stuff to someone else's server to prove my wordcount. So I don't. I also don't like some of the "tips" they offer for increasing wordcount, like un-hyphenating words that should be hyphenated, or pumping up the adverbs and wordy sentences just to inflate wordcount. Yes, we make words, but we should not encourage bad habits.

But the "just keep swimming" part of Nanowrimo appeals to me, because self-discipline is my worst flaw as a writer. Writing some every day, regardless of whether you feel inspired - that's a good habit, and one far too many writers ignore (myself most definitely included).

I have a new project in mind, but it's a few days before I can get it started. In the meantime, I'm wrapping Part Two of SANCTUARY before I set it aside (again).

Today I joined a group of Nanoers for an all-day write-in. It was one of the bigger tests of my self-discipline, because it was a glorious fall day with clear skies and gentle breezes and I would rather have done almost anything than write. Drive up the river road, go to Six Flags, walk the botanical gardens. Anything to be out in this lovely weather.

But I did it anyway, and I got some work done.

Today's work:

 
4,455 / 50,000
(8.9%)


That brings SANCTUARY to 61,046 words, which is a bit too many for this point of the story. Of course, I haven't figured out how this new version will end. It's possible it'll get trimmed up some.

At any rate, I figure two more chapters, maybe three, before Part Two is done. Then on to the new project. We'll get back to the alien apocalypse in the new year.

Comments

  1. I would fail at nanowrimo so bad. I've been working on my novel on and off for a few months now and am only 7,000 words in. I can't sit down and make myself write.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment