Dragon Ladies

DANA: *climbs into bed*
ME: I notice we're still sleeping together.
DANA: Well, just respect me in the morning.
ME: Oh, I better start blogging.

The drive from Nashville to Atlanta is just as soul-crushingly long as from St. Louis to Nashville, but has the advantage of absolutely stunning Appalachian scenery. About nine times I wanted to stop the car and haul out the camera, but since I don't feel like dying anytime soon, I decided it would be better to keep driving along the twisting mountain roads between the giant truckers.

Yes, gas really is at $3.15 a gallon. I have not seen the rumored Atlanta gas pumps at $5.99 a gallon, because I was momentarily intelligent and topped off the tank in Chattanooga. But I have no doubt these prices exist, state of emergency or no.

ME: The thing that sucks about a breakup is that it ruins a song for you. You know, the Song you had with that person. It's ruined from then on.
DANA: Or a whole artist.
ME: Like *song deleted*. That was my song with *man's name deleted*
ANNE: I could write a song titled "What the Fuck is Wrong With You?" That could be your song with him.

Ah, affirmation. I sometimes have wondered about the success of "Sex and the City." I enjoyed it myself, but often pondered how we can so adore a show about four self-absorbed, man-obsessed women with enormous non-New York apartments and a seemingly endless disposable income without ever actually going to work. Then I realized - it was the friendship between those four women. Men may have watched the show because it had hot women talking frankly about sex, but women watched it because they were the women we wanted as friends - or who reminded us of our friends.

Dragoncon is the one time of the year that I'm with the Dragon Ladies. While we don't always get along, there's a level of friendship and snark that we rarely find the rest of the year. It's the kind of friendship that will always take your side when a man done you wrong, and will just as quickly tell you - in the nicest, most loving way possible - when you're so full of shit your eyes are brown. Women are out there nodding right now - you know. The women who tell you when you're making an incredible mistake, when you're overlooking the obvious, when you're just plain being a bitch.

Those are the friends you treasure.

DANA: I want a tribble.
ME: And it wants you.
DANA: *giggle*
ME: You're in that state again, where you laugh at anything I say.
DANA: *giggle*
ME: Try it, Anne, it's fun!
ANNE: Nutmeg.
DANA: *giggle*
ANNE: Cardamon.
DANA: *giggle*
ME: See?

We're watching the utterly brilliant DragonconTV. Yes, Dragoncon has its own TV channel, broadcast only in the hotel rooms. I want to meet whoever writes these scripts. Pretending to hawk astromech droids on DVC, the DOX News channel, commercials for the Blue Pill (a la Matrix) and Elfzyte (don't ask), the hilarious Dragoncon PSAs, and especially fun Zork mockery. You know you're talking to a specific audience when you get good ratings with Zork mockery.

Am I supposed to be working? Oh yes, I have a book coming out in two weeks instead of two months. I have an author's note to write, flyers to mark up with room numbers and a manuscript to review. Not to mention a new book I'm fiddling with, a proposal I'm working up and a client's manuscript to finish reviewing.

And yet, sitting in this room, dishing over ex-boyfriends... I can't bring myself to work. At the end of our lives, do any of us say, "I wish I'd done more work"? Or "I wish I'd gotten drunk more," or "I wish I flirted with that guy".... Oh, wait. Maybe that last one.

So 20,000 geeks give blood in Atlanta in between panels and book signings. I am safely ensconced in our skylit room, and looking forward to meeting the people tomorrow. All is right with the world.

Comments