Weekend Update: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The Good

• Boy's theatrical debut was delightful fun, and he had a smashing time. I had not seen the scaled-down community theater version of Les Miserables before, and as my dad put it, the very young, energetic cast was obviously giving it absolutely everything they had. Boy was terrific as an ensemble player. He was a disturbingly convincing drunk, which means he's seen too many cons, and died most heroically on the barricade. (Spoilers!)

I was not prepared for it to be so stressful! I was much more nervous than he was, hoping nothing went wrong. My stomach was in knots! But I was even less prepared for my emotional reaction to seeing Boy on the stage. The theater meant a great deal to me as a young woman, and I have never once regretted my decision to study it. I also have not regretted my decision to give it up, but I was overwhelmed by emotion when I saw Boy up on the stage obviously having so much fun "At the End of the Day."

• The Author Fair went off nicely, and most of the authors seemed to have a good time: good conversation, a handful of sales. I was not as successful as I hoped in getting feet up the steps to the fair, so I will have to set my thinking cap for better plans to get more foot traffic in the room. I want to make it truly worth the authors' time, and that means more feet in the room. Still, almost everyone sold something, and most said they would like to come back.

• The Relay Cafe and Relay Sunday were a terrific success! We waaaaay overplanned on the chili, but feeding the church with it worked out nicely - and several people took containers of it back home. In the end, there was only enough left for tonight's dinner. That works for me, because I'm tired. However, the combined take for the American Cancer Society was nearly $400, and that makes me happy.

• Visiting with the folks is always fun, reminding me how much we miss them and that they really aren't that far away. They came into town for the play, and treated us to a ballgame after church on Sunday. In between we caught up, and they brought me that awesome brown sugar from the Mennonite community as well! Mmm, baking.

The Bad

• Boy's brand-fucking-new iPhone was stolen when we were at the ballpark. I was hoping it was just lost and someone would turn it in, but we received a report that someone tried to hock it this morning. We are working with the St. Louis Police and our carrier to resolve the situation. If you've got good thoughts to spare, we could use them; I literally signed the agreement one week ago and am obligated to two years of payments on that goddamn phone, found or not. Boy is devastated, not just because of the phone, but the backstage pictures and wacky selfies from his theatrical debut.

• So of course, his laptop decides to misplace its hard drive tonight. For those keeping track at home, this laptop had a bad air card. We brought it in for a replacement air card, which also failed. Then they replaced the logic board and the hard drive. For the brand new hard drive to fail, something is very odd. Back to the store it goes...

• And if I didn't have enough to keep myself occupied, Paypal has randomly decided to pick my business account for extra scrutiny. I'm supposed to submit my driver's license, proof of address and proof of Social Security number. Gee, thanks. I feel so much more secure knowing that you guys are on the case - and that my personal information is "safe" in your hands. But since my various enterprises require that I use Paypal, comply I shall.

The good news is, anyone who stole my identity would likely give it back with their apologies.

The Ugly

• Today is the only night off in a stretch of 12 days. I have too many night gigs. I think I might do something crazy like go to bed before 2 a.m.

Comments