ShowMeCon Report!

CON REPORT

Well, I'd like to say I learned something about anime by being part of ShowMeCon/Anime St. Louis for a weekend, but I'd be lying.

That's not entirely true. I learned what yaoi is. I learned what "glomp" means. And there is some connection between anime and the delicious cookie sticks known as Pocky that escapes me.

I also learned that anime teens read, and they have energy, and I hope they come to our side of the Force soon.

I spent most of my weekend at ShowMeCon in the Authors/Artists Alley, hawking my books beside Van Allen Plexico, Shane Moore, Barri Bumgarner, Sara Harvey and Angelia Sparrow. I am happy to say that I sold out of nearly everything I brought: buttons, magnets, books, T-shirts... oh wait, I forgot to BRING THE T-SHIRTS WITH ME. *thumps self* All I brought home was a handful of SETTING SUNSes, a stack o' money and a smile.

I'd also like to recognize two young ladies, whose names I do not know. One of them wanted to buy my book so desperately she offered me a third-party check, which of course I couldn't accept. So she went to a bank with Saturday hours, OPENED AN ACCOUNT, and got her check cashed so she could buy the book. Another young lady had no cash on her or checking account, so she used the hotel's business center to Paypal the money to me and showed me the receipt. I would have taken her word for it. I am always humbled when people are that enthusiastic about my work. It means a great deal to me, to know that they are touched by it. Otherwise, I'm just talking to myself.

That said, there were multiple problems with the con, which probably have been detailed in a dozen blogs by now. The hotel truly screwed over the con, triple-booking the space and refusing them access to several rooms. Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume that's why there was so little programming on the ShowMeCon side of the program. I personally had several panels, but there could have been a lot more going on, and all of us were willing to serve.

The ones who truly got screwed were the gamers. By all reports, the gaming rooms were booked for a wedding by the hotel, and upon seeing the empty guest room offered for gaming, the powers that be refunded the gaming companies their money and sent them home. People who had come for the gaming also had their money refunded, but as one person told me, that doesn't compensate him for the day off work or travel to way-out West County. I think there was more of a problem with communication - while the con people I spoke with were working hard and seemed to know what was going on, person after person told me they couldn't get straight answers from anyone.

However, I understand the con will be at a new hotel next year, one that's closer to the city (appreciated by us Illinoisians) and possibly prepared for a con? That would be nice. Dear Hotels: A con will take over your hotel. Lie back and enjoy the cash they bring with them. Do not bug them and they'll be a cash cow year after year. We're friendly folk. We won't eat your hotel. Love, Confolk.

I can't complain for myself. Well, I can complain about the hotel and the bullshit I had to endure just to get my room. But I got my spot in the Alley and I sold well. My panels were well-attended and audiences had intelligent, thoughtful questions. Indeed, the "science fiction in television and film" panel got carried away and we talked more than an hour over our limit, so it was a good thing it was the end of the evening.

One thing I might recommend for the con: readings. We authors like to read our work - it makes people want to buy it. (Hopefully.) Frustrated by the lack of readings, three of us commandeered an empty panel room at 9 p.m. on Saturday, shouted "AUTHORS DOING READINGS!" out into the hallway and went to work. I went first, reading the first chapter of ABADDON. Reaction was positive, though I must apologize again to my fellow authors - several people left when mine was done, because it's a long-ass passage. I suck! Mea culpa, ladies, I didn't mean to hog the audience.

But we had a steady stream of people coming in and out, so we took turns. Each of us would read an excerpt, and discuss the process and the business a bit. It was really the highlight of the con for us, money notwithstanding, and the readers seemed to enjoy it. Authors' Open Mike!

Many thanks to my lovely roommates Angelia Sparrow, Sara Harvey and part-time flunky Katie Yates (with spawn). We had such a wonderful time, despite the traumas. As I told someone already, it's hard to argue with money. But more than that, I really was inspired by the energy of the young people who lined up around the block - ON SUNDAY - to see us (and some anime actor guy, I suppose). As the artist guest of honor told them, we need you young people. We need your energy. I hope you tried something new (and legal) this weekend, and I hope you come back.

I know I will.

P.S. Pay no attention to what Shane Moore says - my name is NOT McDonald. I would have smacked him, but he's a cop. That's a felony.

Comments